This weekend I did my first Disney Fun Run at Disney Social Media Moms at Disney World. I got together with a few other AZ bloggers who attended the conference and we came up with dressing up with a Star Wars theme! Everyone selected a character to go as and I decided to go as a Stormtrooper. This DIY Stormtrooper costume was easy to put together and easy to run in!
The DIY StormTrooper costume:
DIY StormTrooper Shirt
Black Capri Leggings
White & Black Tutu
StormTrooper Mickey Ears
I made the entire costume in about 3 hours. The tutu took the longest but it was pretty easy to do while watching a movie!
StormTrooper Shirt Supplies:
- White T Shirt cut like this one http://cleverpinkpirate.com/2014/08/18/diy-upcycled-t-shirt-tank-top/
- StormTrooper cut out on freezer paper (I uploaded an image onto the Cricut design studio)
- Black fabric paint
- Paint brush
- Ribbon (approximately 20 inches)
- Crop-a-Dile to punch holes in the side of the shirt
- Take the shirt and iron it out. Carefully iron on the freezer paper cutout to the front of the shirt.
- Paint inside the stencil with the paint.
- Allow the paint to dry then remove the stencil.
- Cut the side seams all the way down.
- Punch 3 – 4 holes down the side.
- Thread the ribbon through the holes and tie a bow.
StormTrooper Tutu Supplies:
- 2 rolls of white tulle
- 1 roll of black tulle
- 1 strand of 1/2 inch to 1 inch black or white elastic (measured to fit snuggly on your waist)
- Cut the elastic to fit your waist. Leave a few extra inches so you can knot it around your waist but don’t tie it yet.
- Cut strips of tulle about 10 – 15 inches long. I did a variety of different sizes. Cut until you run out of the tulle or go until you have the desired fluffiness. I wanted an extra fluffy tutu so it took 2 and a half rolls.
- Tie the tulle in knots around the elastic. You don’t have to double knot them, one knot will do. This way you can move them around as needed. I did about 4 white, 1 black as a pattern.
StormTrooper Mickey Ears Supplies
- Foam board
- Mickey ears template (printable found here)
- White fabric (I used scraps from the shirt)
- Hot glue gun
- 2 Black vinyl cut outs of the Imperial Crest , about 2.5 inches big.
- Use the printable to trace Mickey ears. You will need to do 4 cut outs.
- Hot glue the white scraps around the ears. I simply glued the gathering of the fabric together on the back.
- Hot glue the ears about 2 inches apart.
- Place the crests on each ear.
So what completed the costume? Running with #CleverVader
As you can see, we had a lot of fun at the Disney Social Media Moms Fun Run! Looking for more DIY Star Wars run costumes? Check out these links!