This weekend I did my first Disney Fun Run at Disney Social Media Moms at Disney World. I got together with a few other AZ bloggers who attended the conference and we came up with dressing up with a Star Wars theme! Everyone selected a character to go as and I decided to go as a Stormtrooper. This DIY Stormtrooper costume was easy to put together and easy to run in!
The DIY StormTrooper costume:
DIY StormTrooper Shirt
Black Capri Leggings
White & Black Tutu
StormTrooper Mickey Ears
I made the entire costume in about 3 hours. The tutu took the longest but it was pretty easy to do while watching a movie!
StormTrooper Shirt Supplies:
- White T Shirt cut like this one http://cleverpinkpirate.com/2014/08/18/diy-upcycled-t-shirt-tank-top/
- StormTrooper cut out on freezer paper (I uploaded an image onto the Cricut design studio)
- Black fabric paint
- Paint brush
- Ribbon (approximately 20 inches)
- Crop-a-Dile to punch holes in the side of the shirt
- Take the shirt and iron it out. Carefully iron on the freezer paper cutout to the front of the shirt.
- Paint inside the stencil with the paint.
- Allow the paint to dry then remove the stencil.
- Cut the side seams all the way down.
- Punch 3 – 4 holes down the side.
- Thread the ribbon through the holes and tie a bow.
StormTrooper Tutu Supplies:
- 2 rolls of white tulle
- 1 roll of black tulle
- 1 strand of 1/2 inch to 1 inch black or white elastic (measured to fit snuggly on your waist)
- Cut the elastic to fit your waist. Leave a few extra inches so you can knot it around your waist but don’t tie it yet.
- Cut strips of tulle about 10 – 15 inches long. I did a variety of different sizes. Cut until you run out of the tulle or go until you have the desired fluffiness. I wanted an extra fluffy tutu so it took 2 and a half rolls.
- Tie the tulle in knots around the elastic. You don’t have to double knot them, one knot will do. This way you can move them around as needed. I did about 4 white, 1 black as a pattern.
StormTrooper Mickey Ears Supplies
- Foam board
- Mickey ears template (printable found here)
- White fabric (I used scraps from the shirt)
- Hot glue gun
- 2 Black vinyl cut outs of the Imperial Crest , about 2.5 inches big.
- Use the printable to trace Mickey ears. You will need to do 4 cut outs.
- Hot glue the white scraps around the ears. I simply glued the gathering of the fabric together on the back.
- Hot glue the ears about 2 inches apart.
- Place the crests on each ear.
So what completed the costume? Running with #CleverVader
As you can see, we had a lot of fun at the Disney Social Media Moms Fun Run! Looking for more DIY Star Wars run costumes? Check out these links!
Chewbacca Costume from Ecelctic Mommy
Darth Vader Costume from Mom Endeavors
Han Solo Costume from Desert Chica
R2d2 Costume from See Vanessa Craft
BB-8 Droid from All For The Boys
Leave a Reply