Last week I found myself completely bummed after I spent 2 hours in the mall and left with only a pretzel. I had 3 things I was looking for that I feel every gal needs for the Fall:
- A great pair of jeans
- A cute pair of boots
- A sweater or cardigan that could go with just about any outfit
Although I was bummed I couldn’t find anything, I was glad I stuck with my rules of shopping. Which is funny, because I didn’t even realize I had rules of shopping until I left there empty handed. I have found that using these guidelines when shopping helps keep my budget in check and my closet under control.
Here they are:
- Before any shopping trip, I evaluate my closet and figure out what I need or just see what I have. If I have a lot of black tops, chances are I really won’t be bringing home another black top.
- Do I love it? This question I have to ask myself everytime I consider purchasing something, do I love it? If it’s just “eh”, I mean what am I going to think about it when I go home? If I am not in love with it, I know
shouldn’t buy it.
- What can I wear it with? If I don’t have something to already pair it with, I don’t want to take the chance of buying it now and pairing it later.
- Where will I wear this? Sure, I fall in love with pricey dresses that look amazing, but where exactly will I wear it to?
- How often will I wear it? I read somewhere that you should price everything at 1 dollar per wear. So if it’s $40, will I wear it 40 times?
- If all else fails, I put the item down and walk around the mall. If I find I am still thinking about that item after my shopping around the mall, I will go back and buy it.
So there you have it, my rules to shopping! Do you have a thought process you use when shopping?