Do you have any maps lying around? I’m sure you do somewhere! I’m sharing how to give an old ornament new life with a map by making a Map Ornament!
So I bought this really large cool map last year and it was on my office wall, well at some point it fell and ripped off the wall 🙁 I was bummed but wanted to keep it to at least upcycle something with. I’m glad I remembered it because I made this cool map ornament. This could also be a fun project for kisd to do!
What you’ll need:
- Ornament (the larger the better, I used a plastic one from the dollar store)
- Sparkle Mod Podge
- Lay out the ornament over the map, start gathering the map around the ornament to see how much you’ll need. Kind of like wrapping a present.
- Once you have figured that out, cut the map to fit the ornament.
- Take the mod podge, generously goop it on to the ornament and then start the map at one end and start adhering it to the ornament. This is tricky because it’s round, you have to pleat it. Pleating it is easy mod podging then smoothing out the middle, then start folding the top so that it goes along with the flow.
- Once you have the majority of the top and middle done, start fitting the bottom.
- It doesn’t have to be be perfect 🙂
Ideas on where to find maps:
- Airport car rental stations
- Insurance Companies
- Yard Sales
- Thrift Stores
- Atlas Map Books (also found in thrift stores)
- Heck, just print one out!
- It’s okay to get messy, think of it like getting to revert to 2nd grade for a bit by using your hands to smooth it all out with the glue.
- Be careful not to rip the map!
[…] 3: No Fuss Pirate Shirt Day 4: DIY Cardboard Swords Day 5: Pirate Christmas Caroling Day 6: Treasure Map Ornament Day 7: Pirate Cookies Day 8: DIY Pirate Hook Day 10: Treasure Chest Day 11: DIY Eye Patch Day […]