Have you made your own laundry soap? This soap is made from different items from the laundry aisle so this isn’t technically from scratch but it will save you time and money! Every year I create one large batch in the fall. It produces enough to last the whole year and I even give out some jars as gifts each year!
DIY Laundry Detergent Recipe
- 1 box of Gain or Tide powder laundry soap
- 1 box of baking soda
- 1 Felsnaptha soap (found in laundry aisle at WM for around $1)
- 1 Zote soap (found in laundry aisle at WM for around $1)
- 1 bottle of Purex crystals (to make it smell great)
- 1 box of Biz stain fighting powder (similar to oxyclean)
- 1/2 box of Borax
- Grate the bars of soap with a grater.
- Pour the remaining ingredients with the soap pieces in one large bowl or pot.
- You can store this in any container or ziploc bag. I keep it in storage jars in my garage.
What’s great about making your own soap:
- It’s very quick to do and not too time consuming, this only took me about 10 minutes to make.
- It lasts forever! I use 2 tablespoons and that’s it for every load in my HE washer and it works great.
- It’s cheap! Obviously, since it’s going to last me a long time it’s really less than $2 a month for laundry soap!
Have you ever made your own laundry soap?