Have you ever wanted to just hop on a plane and go somewhere on your own? I’m sure in another life I was a gypsy because I get antsy staying at home too long and I could travel everyday. The thing is, I don’t mind going places on my own. Last year I traveled quite a bit for work and realized that traveling on my own was quite fun! I didn’t have to worry about what other people wanted to do and I could go at my own pace.
I took walking tours, bus tours and just walked around cities like Chicago and New York all on my own. I love the hustle and bustle and the uniqueness each city has. The architecture and historic buildings are one of my favorite things about the cities.
One of the best tips I got from a walking tour, just open up a door. You never know where it will take you.
The Clever Pirate’s Tips for Traveling Alone
- Keep an eye out on the best deals on airfare. You can go to http://www.tripadvisor.com/CheapFlightsHome and it will tell you what the cheapest flights are from your city. You can also sign up for low price alerts!
- Need ideas on what to do? Want a good deal? Start with Groupon. Here you can find fun things to do like walking tours, restaurant deals etc. I took this one in Chicago and was so glad I did! Hillary was amazing and I learned a lot about Chicago.
- Check out CityPass where you can get a good deal on a “pass” that you can use for multiple landmarks and museums. Places included are Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Space Needle and more!
- Download UBER and Lyft. These services are safe to take and are an inexpensive way to get from point A to point B. Use my UBER link to get a FREE trip and use my Lyft link to get a FREE $50 credit!
- Download Yelp app. This app will tell you whats nearby and will tell you their reviews. I even found that some restaurants and businesses have online coupons! I saved 10 % on sushi in Chicago.
- Check out public transportation. Don’t be afraid of the subway or trains, these are easy to use and inexpensive!
- Wear comfortable shoes! This is one of the most important things you can do is take care of your feet if you are doing a lot of walking around a new city.
Now onto the safety tips. There’s no reason why a gal should feel nervous about touring a city on their own but there are some important things to keep in mind!
- Do your research before you go. Sites like Trip Advisor are great for asking questions and reading where others have gone. I also like to download PDF maps of where I want to go.
- Always let someone know where you are going. If you make an itinerary, send it to family/friends.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- If you feel like walking around or sitting on a train by yourself is awkward, bring some headphones along.
- Try not to look like a tourist and map out your destinations before you go. You can use your maps app to guide you to each destination.
- Talk to the concierge of where you are saying and ask them for tips. They will be able to tell you where is safe to go and to not go.
Things to bring with you:
- Portable charger
- Travel backpack or a camera bag
- Credit Card
- Fit bit or similar to track your steps
Where would you go on your own?
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.