I immediately thought, Jalapeno Poppers. However, I’m not a big “fried” person so I set out to try and make a baked recipe with some lower fat goodness. Also, the other day I tried candied bacon. YUMMMM! So I made a little myself.
Please note, you will want to wear food or rubber gloves while dealing with this many jalapenos.
Recipe: Baked Jalapeno Poppers with Candied Bacon
Time: 1 hour
Ingredients for Candied Turkey Bacon:
- 1/3 cup of maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 10 pieces of turkey bacon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line cookie sheet with foil (it’s best to use a cookie sheet with edges).
- Mix together syrup and brown sugar.
- Dip strips of bacon in syrup mixture, coating well.
- Place strips on the cookie sheet.
- Spoon remainder of mixture on top of the pieces of bacon.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then chop into small pieces.
Ingredients for Jalapeno Poppers:
- 10 Jalapenos, sliced long ways in half and deseeded
- 1.5 cups of bread crumbs
- 1.2 cup of parmesan cheese (grated
- 2 tablespoons of minced onions
- 8 ounces of fat free cream cheese
- 2/3 cup of 2% shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and minced onions in a bowl.
- Mix cream cheese and shredded cheese together in another bowl.
- Beat eggs together in a separate bowl.
- Take jalapenos and fill with cream cheese mixture.
- Dip the jalapeno in the egg mixture on top and bottom.
- Cover the jalapeno with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place jalapenos on foiled cookie sheet, cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place pieces of bacon on the poppers.