Yesterday, I shared with you how to make homemade butter andÂ “buttermilk” here: http://cleverpinkpirate.com/2012/04/30/frugal-foodie-homemade-butter-tutorial-w-whipping-cream/. I took that buttermilk and made it into a marinade for this Coconut Parmesan Crusted Buttermilk Chicken recipe. It was delicious, even the kids had seconds and thirds!
Recipe: Coconut Parmesan Crusted Buttermilk Chicken Tenders
Time: 4 hours of marinating, 7 minutes of prep, 1 hour to bake
- 2 lbs chicken tenders
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of flour
- 3 egg whites
- Rinse chicken tenders.
- Marinate for 4+ hours in buttermilk in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees
- Take out 3 bowls and 1 casserole dish
- In 1 bowl; pour in flour. In second bowl; take egg whites, beat until lightly frothy. In third bowl; mix together coconut and cheese together.
- Take chicken tenders out of the marinade, dip one at a time down the assembly line.
- Start with coating the tenders in flour, then covering in egg whites and finishing with covering them in the coconut cheese mixture.
- Place in single layer in large casserole dish.
- Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour.
Enjoy! I served these with rosemary potato thins. I just took potatoes on the mandolin and placed them on a cookie sheet and covered them in olive oil, fresh rosemary and onion salt and baked them for about 45 minutes.